google-site-verification=Dev0CuLLFSFOGuaSCFNdc_uXmFqo1OloVExZyIUd_Aw

SAT Math Learning Online

SAT math comprehensive preparation

This site will prepare you for the SAT math test. All SAT math topics learned here are explained thoroughly, accompanied by examples and solved questions. In addition, each page includes a detailed formula sheet needed to solve questions on the topic. 

Which topics to study for the SAT math exam?

All the SAT math topics pages are listed in the left menu of this page, in addition you can find these topics under the subscore names in the top menu. 

The Math test reports three subscores: Heart of Algebra, Passport to Advanced Mathematics and Problem Solving and Data Analysis, 90% of the questions fall into the three subscores and the other 10% are classified as additional Topics.

  • Heart of Algebra subscore includes four core algebra topics: linear functions, linear equations, systems of linear equations and linear inequalities.
  • Passport to advanced mathematics subscore includes number of advanced algebra topics such as quadratic and exponential expressions and functions, radicals, isolating variables and function notation.
  • Problem solving and data analysis subscore includes making calculations with ratios, rates, proportions, percentages, and growth rates. It also includes data collections and analysis with tables, distributions, graphs ans scatterplots. 
  • Additional topics include geometry topics of area and volume calculations and concepts of lines, angles triangles and circles. They also include right triangle trigonometry (functions of sine, cosine, and tangent), calculations with radians and arithmetic of complex numbers.

How to study a particular topic?

Go to the page of the topic you want to study.

At the beginning of each topic there is a summary of the material that is explained below.

Each topic is divided into sections from easy to difficult (the list of the sections appears on the left menu of each topic page).

Each section includes detailed explanations of the required material with examples followed by a variety of self-practice questions with solutions.

Which topic to study first?

Study heart of algebra subscore first since it contains basic knowledge that is essential for solution of some other subscores.

Study the topics in the order they appear in the menus- the topics in the left menu and the top menu are arranged so that the basic knowledge for each topic appears first. In addition, if there is a topic that should be studied first, it will be presented at the beginning of the page.

About the SAT Test

  • The SAT is designed to test your thinking skills to solve problems, communicate and understand relationships, these are the skills needed to succeed in college and at work. 
  • The SAT includes two sections and four tests that are Math, Reading, Writing and Language and Essay (optional). The total SAT score ranges from 400 to 1600. Each question answered correctly gives you points; no points are deducted for wrong answers. 
  • Evidence based reading and writing section includes two tests: Reading Test and Writing and Language Test. The score for this section ranges from 200 to 800.

The SAT Math Test structure and score

  • The Math section includes only one test- the Math test.
  • The score for the Math test ranges from 200 to 800.
  • The Math test consists of 58 questions that should be solved in 80 minutes.
  • The questions include both multiple choice questions and student produced response questions.
  • For multiple choice questions, you need to choose the best answer from the choices provided, and fill in the corresponding circle on your answer sheet.
  • For student produced response questions, you need to enter your answer in the grid on the answer sheet.
  • Some Math sections allow the use of a calculator, while others do not.
  • The Math test reports analysis in science cross test score on a scale of 10 to 40.
  • The Math test reports three subscores: Heart of Algebra, Passport to Advanced Mathematics and Problem Solving and Data Analysis. Subscores are reported on a scale of 1 to 15.
  • 90% of the questions fall into the three subscores, the other 10% are classified as additional Topics. 

Heart of Algebra subscore

  • Heart of Algebra subscore is one of the three SAT math test subscores.
  • Heart of Algebra subscore includes four core algebra topics: linear functions, linear equations, systems of linear equations and linear inequalities.
  • Heart of Algebra subscore questions include multiple choice questions and student produced response questions. 
  • The use of a calculator is permitted for part of the questions.
  • The grade of heart of Algebra subscore is reported on a scale of 1 to 15.
  • The skills tested in Heart of Algebra subscore include creating, analyzing and solving equations and inequalities.
  • Some questions test your ability to represent a word problem algebraically. This will require defining variables, writing expressions, solving equations and interpreting the solution in terms of the question.
  • Other questions focus on interpreting the relationships between graphic and algebraic presentations. 

Click here to learn the required skills and solve questions about heart of algebra subscore.

Passport to advanced mathematics subscore

  • Passport to advanced mathematics subscore is one of the three SAT math test subscores.
  • Passport to advanced mathematics subscore includes number of advanced algebra topics such as quadratic and exponential expressions and functions, radicals, isolating variables and function notation.
  • The skills tested in Passport to advanced mathematics  subscore include making calculations with rational exponents and radicals, rewriting a quadratic function in its different forms, solving quadratic equations, interpret graphs of functions, solving word problems etc.
  • Some questions test your ability to represent a word problem algebraically or solve a word problem for a given function. Representing a word problem will require defining variables, writing functions and solving equations.
  • Passport to advanced mathematics subscore questions include multiple choice questions and student produced response questions.
  • The use of a calculator is permitted for part of the questions.
  • The grade of Passport to advanced mathematics subscore is reported on a scale of 1 to 15.

Click here to learn the required skills and solve questions passport to advanced mathematics subscore.

Problem solving and data analysis subscore

  • Problem solving and data analysis subscore is one of the three SAT math test subscores.
  • Problem solving and data analysis subscore includes making calculations with ratios, rates, proportions, percentages, and growth rates.
  • In addition problem solving and data analysis subscore includes data collections and analysis with tables, distributions, graphs ans scatterplots. 
  • Problem solving and data analysis questions comprise 29 percent of the SAT math test (17 of 58 questions).
  • Problem solving and data analysis subscore tests solving problems you encounter in the real world situations.
  • The skills tested in problem solving and data analysis subscore include representing problems, applying units rates, analyzing relationships and draw conclusions about information.
  • Problem solving and data analysis subscore questions include multiple choice questions and student produced response questions.
  • The use of a calculator is permitted for all questions.
  • The grade of problem solving and data analysis subscore is reported on a scale of 1 to 15.

Click here to learn the required skills and solve questions about problem solving and data analysis subscore.

Additional Topics in math

  • 90% of the questions fall into the three subscores, the other 10% are classified as additional Topics.
  • Additional topics include geometry topics of area and volume calculations of different geometric objects and concepts of lines, angles triangles and circles.
  • Additional topics also include right triangle trigonometry (functions of sine, cosine, and tangent) and calculations with radians.
  • Additional topics also include arithmetic of complex numbers.
  • The skills tested in additional topics include knowledge of geometry concepts and definitions and making trigonometric calculations.
  • Most commonly used geometry formulas are provided at the beginning of each SAT Math section, and less commonly used formulas are given with the question.
  • Additional topics questions comprise 10 percent of the SAT math test (8 of 58 questions).
  • Additional topics questions include multiple choice questions and student produced response questions.
  • The use of a calculator is permitted for part of the questions.

Click here to learn the required skills and solve questions about additional topics in math.

Leave a comment